RE: [at-l] departures

Another consideration is ice. I hiked the northern half of the AT through
the Smokies this january and had one day where the trail was completely
frozen over. It snowed then melted then refroze over the trail. I walked 10
miles on a sheet of ice on a ridgetop. If I had not had my two poles with me
I could not have made it and would have had to turn back. It was bad enough
that if I had a partner with me (I was solo) i would have tied us together
with rope for safety in case one of us slipped over the edge. I was wishing
for crampons that day.

With an early start you have to be prepared for snow or ice conditions in GA
and NC. Ideally crampons and snowshoes are what you need. But the weight is
prohibitive and you have to make tradeoffs. I think if I were to start off
on a thru-hike in Feb I would watch the weather and make a decision at the
last minute based on the wather patterns. The I'd be prepared to come down
off the trail temporarily if conditions worsened.

Jim McBride