Re: [at-l] I'm confused

> Enough already. Take this off list
> please.

Sorry to have bothered you  ...
(and anyone else tired of this thread!).
Please accept my apologies.
After this post I won't add anything else unless asked.

> >You're both confused.

I won't speak for my counter-parts in this thread
... but only for myself: I'm always confused.
I can't figure out, for example, if when I'm thru hiking,
I've quit hiking or if I'm on my way to Springer from Katahdin.

> The question of whether these UV Sterilizers work
> will be settled by lab tests not math.

I'm not so sure. Different people require different levels of information
and authority before changing long held beliefs.

All lab tests so far conducted on the steripen, per the mfr, have proved
the thing works.
Lab tests for giardia and cryptosporidium have proved the thing works,
according to Dr. Meyer with whom the mfr contracted for testing. By the
way, Giardia spores are among the creatures requiring the largest dose to
destroy. Because these tests aren't "independent," I'm sure many will doubt
these reported lab results.

Regulatory engineering specs (the math or the numbers) for UV sterilization
of water have been set for industrial and home uv applications. These
regulatory engineering specs (the math or the numbers) have been set as a
result of a considerable history of lab testing conducted since the 60s. UV
regulations have been on the books in the US since 1966. According to the
specs, as published by the steripen mfr and the mfrs of uv lamps, the
steripen should work.  Since the independent engineering data and the
reports agree, I expect the steripen to work. By the way, the math and the
numbers allow us to use more efficient diagnostics to check the continued
functioning of the uv sterilizers in public and private use. A light meter,
for example, can tell us if the lamp and its covering is working properly,
so we won't have to repeat all those lab tests conducted in the past on all
the different bugs and the doses required to knock out each.

Some people still don't trust this information.  That's ok with me.

I needed to test a long held belief that solar uv can sterilize water
against the scientific literature arising from the  doubt of some about the
steripen. Based on my research, of which I have now, like you grown tired,
and with the help of some very patient and generous friends and
professionals on this list (who I would like, taking this opportunity to
thank! -- you know who you are!) I've concluded, possibly contrary to their
opinions, that the belief, alleged to have been "scientifically based" does
indeed have a scientific basis and appears consistent with my experience.
I've also concluded that the steripen, depending on price, will be a very
useful tool to take along on third world and back country trips. I'll not,
however, give up my filter, since it takes out sediments and other
impurities that can impede uv sterilization of the viruses and spores the
filter may miss. But, I can probably replace my current filter with a
cheaper and lighter one after I get the steripen.

Ultimately, though, I guess you and OrangeBug are right: Even with the all
the prior lab testing and observations, we can't really be certain the sun
will rise tomorrow until we wake up and see it; or that our favorite chair
will keep us off the floor until we commit to sitting in it; or that your
Pur pump will "work" without testing it with several thousands of people
under carefully controlled circumstances ... even though we know in advance
the size of the bugs and the size of the holes in the filter.

Anyway, being more confused than the normal wretch, I'm glad to have at
length visited this interesting topic and again I thank all those who
helped me along the way.

Word play is funner, anyway.

David