Subject: [at-l] hiking,dogs,bootleggers
Author:  " bluestreak" <bluestreak@mailcity.com> at ima
Date:    8/1/99 1:53 PM

I am a volunteer trail maintainer and have adopted a trail in the Whites of NH.
There are 2 bootleg campsites (read illegal/unauthorized by the WMNF Forest
Service) on this trail. I have been discussing with the section leader the
feasability of filling them in and eliminating them. I am resisting because I
think as long as these two sites exist it is likely that they will get used as
opposed to making a new one & impacting a larger area. Also it is likely that if
I fill them in someone will just go in & clear them again.I am also biased in
that I would rather camp off trail myself as to stay at an AMC run tentsite or
shelter.Also this trail is just off the AT & offers that alternative to
thruhikers if they know about it.

the bluestreak
New Hampshire