[at-l] Scouting and Growing Spirit in a Young Boy--Need a White

This is a day of great confusion for me.  I do not know which path to
choose,
and I feel that I need to direct my energy (still having some left) where it

can serve best.

My grandson is 9 years old and will be in the 4th grade.

He has never been allowed to participate in clubs, sports, church, or any
other activities except when he has visited me at my home 2 summers.

The reason for this is that his parents have never given any sort of
priority
to such, especially since they both have held jobs most of his life and they

are both "too tired" when they get home.

The question I ask primarily has to do with the effect of scouting in the
growth of so many of you who have been or wannabe AT thru-hikers or section
hikers.  It seems to me that I have read repeated accounts of how hikers got

"the vision" during their hikes as Scouts.  I have also observed on the
trail
that some have better woods know-how and that often, inquiry brings a
response that includes their experiences as Scouts in their youth.

I am considering closing down my home, where I thought I'd get to be until
my
departure date this January, and moving to Virginia to be his "support
person" for this school year, hoping that it will help him and hoping that
his parents will enjoy seeing his progress enough to be able to recognize
the
second-hand pleasure seeing one's offspring be happy can give.

I've already cleared the "interfering " thing with the parents.  It's not
that.  I just wonder if those of you who have had Scouting experiences find
them of that great value in your life today.

Testimonials, please.

Kinnickinic