Re: [at-l] new england hike - days 14 &15

>From: "richard mann" <hike-usa@email.msn.com>
>Subject: [at-l] new england hike - days 14 & 15
>Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:14:36 -0400
>day 15 - mahoosic notch (west end) to carlo col
>
>well, let me tell you, what a difference a day makes.  we hiked in the
>mahoosic notch side trail to the west end of the notch, and had the
>intention of hiking southbound to gentian pond campsite, then out the
>austin
>brook trail.  first off was a steep climb, though this is not so bad in the
>morning.  but the climbs and descents became nothing but the scaling of
>rock
>slabs.  the trip up and over and down the goose eyes was ridiculous.  the
>trail through there is unnecessarily difficult.

Pittsburgh,
In '96 because I got new boots in Gorham (my 3rd new pair for the hike), so
I decided instead of hiking north from Pinkham with a full pack & new boots,
I chose to slack myself as far north as I could to break in the new boots,
which ended up meanining I stayed in Gorham for 7 nights & slacked 5 days, 2
zero days (ended up at East B Hill road) (NOTE: only had to pay for 1 ride
from an off-duty fireman on the gravel road (Success Pond Rd) u mentioned).
On that day after geting a ride on Success Pond RD)  to a blue-blaze & hiked
into the  south end of Mahsuuc Notch back to Gorham so I realize what u mean
about rock slabs & steep, yadda, yadda, yadda.....this was about 20 to 21
miles on the AT with a 4+ blue blaze back to Gorham on the old AT which
comes out in Gorham less than a mile from Hikers Paradise (Colonial Comfort
Inn).  Do what u gotta do.....

Pittsburgh, thanks for the report, PLS post more thru-hiker names.
-FP