RE: [at-l] AMC Hospitality

Hmmm.....

I'll start with a disclaimer... I haven't hiked across the presidentials at
all, so none of the following is from direct experience.

That said, I think there are a couple of big issues that haven't been
mentioned here:

(1) The White Mountain National Forest in general, and the Presidentials in
particular, get an incredible amount of use.

(2) Alpine (above tree line) environments are very fragile.

(3) Given the weather, do you really want to be tent camping above treeline
anyway?

According to the AMC FAQ page:

	http://www.outdoors.org/About/faq.html

	Camping is extremely limited throughout the
	Presidential Range due to the open ridge on
	which the trail passes.  Backcountry regulations
	prohibit camping above treeline and 1/4 mile
	from any trailhead, hut, shelter, tent platform,
	or cabin.

	[a list of camping areas]

	That's pretty much it for established camping
	areas. If you choose to leave the ridge and
	camp off a trail please do so with great
	caution and pay close attention to the
	backcountry camping regulations set forth
	by the White Mountain National Forest.

All in all, the policy doesn't sound too bad.  Translated, it seems to say
"There are a few organized places to stay.  If you can't use them, then camp
below treeline and away from heavily used areas."

I guess my real question is: is there a practical alternative to the way the
WMNF and the AMC make camping available in the Presidential Range?

Am I really off on this?

-- Jim