Re: [at-l] The Steri-Pen, A pocket-size water disinfecton system.

L.L. Bean has a product very similar to what you're referring.  I bought two
at $5 each, as I recall.  There is a small ceramic element, backed with
activated granular charcoal, and a tip with a filter element.  The blue
plastic "filter straw" came packed in a clear plastic tube.

Likely due to my own neglect and improper handling, I began to notice
charcoal powder deposits within the storage tube.  I carried the "filter
straw" in my fanny pack and tried my best not to crush it in any way, but
somehow it was hit, smacked, or sat upon.

I figure if the charcoal could get past the pre-filter and spill into the
storage tube, it would be likely that contaminants could bypass the
pre-filter on the way in, as well.  Notwithstanding, the ceramic element
near the mouthpiece would do the final filtering, but I don't dare take the
risk of future use at this point.

If it had been better designed from a more rigid material, it might have
worked well as a single user source.  I can't imagine trying to fill up a
cooking pot in this manner, unless it would be for strict personal use.

Ern Grover a.k.a. "Sweeter-Rain"
(207) 490-3500
26 Webster Street, Springvale, ME  04083
ICQ 922536 / MediaRing 207 3241544
http://www.ticktock.bizhosting.com/hiking.htm
Family Outdoors: http://www.egroups.com/sweeter-rain

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he
hears a different drummer." --Henry David Thoreau