Re: [at-l] Short day hike along the AT

All the hiker babes but me had one pole but I believe they were carrying
them on the opposite side than the rattler was on.  I thought we were
plenty noisy acutally, but the dog really seemed to have set it off
naturally.  I never use poles, so that crashes the theory of poles alerting
the snakes.

I agree, I think the snake was a young one and not more than about 3 to
3-1/2 feet long. It was quite colorful, yet camouflaged in the dried leaves
and vegetation.  His/her cute little head was up and keeping its eyes on
us, for sure!  I wanted nothing to do with it either, so we were both in
agreement.  I am not hard to get along with under those circumstances.  My
mom used to get upset when I'd bring snakes home, but I told her that this
was one snake I wasn't brining home with me. Ha!

I know throwing rocks at snakes is not a nice thing to do.  If it tried to
strike it surely would be a lot closer than it was before that time, right?
 It is a lot faster than me, believe me!  I do not kill snakes as I think
they have as much right, probably more, to be there than I do.  I do admit
to killing spiders, however, if they are anywhere near to where I am going
to sleep.  All spiders are poisonous to some degree.

Thank you for thinking I am a courteous hiker.  I would sure like to think
that I have consideration for the critters and the earth.

The Highlander

----------
> [...]
> Cc: at-l hiking list <at-l@backcountry.net>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Short day hike along the AT
> Date: Friday, July 23, 1999 5:36 PM
>
> I suspect that the rattler was curled up, grabbing some sun, and
digesting
> a mouse or related critter, Your hiker babes ahead had been walking and
> chatting, but not making a big fuss or noise and heavy foot and trekking
> pole pounding, to alert the poor guy (actually, probably a snaker-babe by

> the size) of your intrusion into the after dinner parlor.
>
> The snake wanted to do nothing except alert you that he/she wanted
nothing
> to do with you, hence a defensive position and noise. The snake was
> particularly worried about the dog, and could have easily sent the dog to

> doggy heaven if needed. Giving the snake a wide berth was a good idea.
> Another good idea would have been to simply back up the trail, wait 5
> minutes, then walk back through with a great deal more hubbub.
>
> Throwing a rock at a rattler is not a nice thing to do. If the rattler
> figures out that you are attacking, you then have changed a frightened
and
> defensive rattler into an angry and p*ssed off weapon with two
hypodermics
> loaded for action. PMS is nothing in comparison to a rattler with
attitude.
> A divorce lawyer has more tact. Plus, the rattler was only their doing
its
> job of dispatching mice to another job description other than shelter
ticklers.

> BTW, the fact that you've never seen a rattler or a bear simply attests
> the fact that you have  been courteous and noisy as you walk through the
> woods. They appreciate that you visit, make food available, and leave
> without a fuss. Us hikers are a lot like pizza delivery persons. We want
> know when they get here, grab our food, and then leave us to our business

> of consuming the pizza. I know, they never give us a decent tip, but when

> was the last time you tipped the Dominos guy more that a dollar?
>
> OrangeBug
> Atlanta, GA
>

> At 03:32 PM 7/23/1999 -0400, Alice Kauzlarich wrote:
> >Now, I've been hiking since the 1980's and this was the first poisonous
> >snake I have ever seen.  I have yet to come across a bear even.  That
old
> >rattler was all coiled up and looking us in the legs.  I was not
> >particularly in the mood to continue in that direction.  As luck would
have
> >it there was a climbable bank above the trail and that became our route.
> >Now my companion at the time, who had a dog with her, wanted to throw a
> >rock at it. "Ha! not at a rattler", says I.  I'm all for chasing other
> >nonpoisonous snakes off the trail, but not this big fella.  He was as
round
> >as my wrist and his coil took up a good square foot plus a few inches.
No