Re: [at-l] Short day hike along the AT

I suspect that the rattler was curled up, grabbing some sun, and digesting
a mouse or related critter, Your hiker babes ahead had been walking and
chatting, but not making a big fuss or noise and heavy foot and trekking
pole pounding, to alert the poor guy (actually, probably a snaker-babe by
the size) of your intrusion into the after dinner parlor.

The snake wanted to do nothing except alert you that he/she wanted nothing
to do with you, hence a defensive position and noise. The snake was
particularly worried about the dog, and could have easily sent the dog to
doggy heaven if needed. Giving the snake a wide berth was a good idea.
Another good idea would have been to simply back up the trail, wait 5
minutes, then walk back through with a great deal more hubbub.

Throwing a rock at a rattler is not a nice thing to do. If the rattler
figures out that you are attacking, you then have changed a frightened and
defensive rattler into an angry and p*ssed off weapon with two hypodermics
loaded for action. PMS is nothing in comparison to a rattler with attitude.
A divorce lawyer has more tact. Plus, the rattler was only their doing its
job of dispatching mice to another job description other than shelter ticklers.

BTW, the fact that you've never seen a rattler or a bear simply attests to
the fact that you have  been courteous and noisy as you walk through the
woods. They appreciate that you visit, make food available, and leave
without a fuss. Us hikers are a lot like pizza delivery persons. We want to
know when they get here, grab our food, and then leave us to our business
of consuming the pizza. I know, they never give us a decent tip, but when
was the last time you tipped the Dominos guy more that a dollar?

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA