[at-l] Thinking of feet, squirrels and birthdays

Hello fellow pedestrians,

Ever wonder about all these foot related words that start with "ped-" or
"pod-"?  On Monday I've got an appointment with my podiatrist to discuss
having a bone spur surgically removed.  Since I'm a pedestrian, how come he's
not a pediatrist?  And yet a pediatrician won't stoop to look at my feet.
But if I want to pass a car on the highway I don't press a podal, I press a
pedal.  Such a weird language, though I suspect Botleneck doesn't trouble
himself with the nuances.  :)

Anyway, I've had this bone spur for many years and if I want to thruhike in a
couple years -- I DO -- I need to get this taken care of.  Though the thought
of hobbling around for 6 weeks doesn't excite me at all.  Not one hiker babe
will likely be slow enough to wind up ensnared.  A most revolting observation!

Guy across the street feeds peanuts to the squirrels.  He's moving next week
and is a little guilty about the fact that the squirrels will no longer be
getting that easy supplement to their wild diet.  The guy is 71.  Today a
squirrel hopped up on the hood of his car with a peanut, at it and left the
shell right there on the hood.  This was a first.  He can't decide whether
this was an act of appreciation for the many peanuts that were provided, or a
plea on the squirrels part for him not to go.  He was very sure though that
the act was significant.  Who was I to argue?  But it don't much matter.
He's leaving anyway, and the squirrels will have to make do without him.  I
see them every day on my way to the mailbox.  I hope they prosper, but no, I
won't feed them.

As I sit around this online campfire, surrounded by friends I know from the
Gathering and Trail Days, others I know only from their posts on the at-l and
still others who listen in and are warmed by the glow of fire and camaraderie
but who lurk, I'm so thankful that you are all here.  Thankful that there's
an outlet for those of us who because of career and/or geography cannot
regularly get out for a hike on the AT.  I'm thankful that the accomplished
thruhikers welcome the thruhike dreamers into the fold with open arms, and
have the patience to answer those same unchanging questions for each of us
over and over again with a smile and encouragement.

I'm also thankful that I've come to know a very special hiker babe who is
celebrating her birthday on Friday.  From the first post of hers I read
almost two years ago, I knew there was something extraordinary about her.
She has a heart of gold.  She has little, but if a thruhiker or lister needs
something, who's there with a smile and a ride to share?  She is also one of
the most opinionated, stubborn, and hardheaded people I've ever had the
occasion to lock horns with.  We have called each other the worst names
imaginable, we have fought, and have cried, but, in the end the bonds of true
friendship have and will hold us together forever.  And friendship is what
it's all about.  I hope you will all join me in wishing Redhead the best
birthday under the circumstances.  We luv ya, babe!

Happy trails,

Solar Bear