[at-l] Weekend hike

Hello Everyone,

	I finally braved the heat again and headed out in the woods a couple of
nights.
I walked the section from Cornilious Creek to the Balcony Falls trail
Junction overlooking the James River Gorge.
	I met a few thru hikers still heading north. "OD" was contemplating a
"flip-flop". He took some time of in Roanoke to work. He made it all the
way to Roanoke on $200. Lots of $ or only a few, high tech or low tech
you can still have fun on the trail. I saw two more north bounders a
couple, maybe Tom and Kena, we exchanged pleasantries from a distance as
my camp was just in sight of the trail.
	I talked several hours with a summer intern working for the Forest
service. What a nice job he had. His job was to spend 7 or 8 hours in
the James River Face Wilderness area walking wherever he chose. Also was
trying to catch some horse back riders that use the AT for a short cut
quite often. We walked some side trails that I knew about and talked a
few hours.
	Sunday on my return trip I met "Movin" who was heading to Pittsburgh
and several day hikers.  I ate breakfast in the dark so I could do most
of my walking in the morning. It took me 8 hours to get back to my
truck. On my way home I met "Mark",  who recently moved from California
to MA., another north bounder and give him a ride to Buchcanon and back
for burgers. He planned on making it to Katahdin and was doing 20's in
all this heat. The other north bounders were sitting out most of the day
and taking  it easy. I also met Sascatchoweean a 96'er. He was out for a
day hike up the Piney Ridge Trail and back via the AT.
	Water report: Cornilious Creek had water, Thunder Hill shelter had a
tiny trickle, it took about 5 min to get a liter but it was good and
cool. Harrison Ground Spring had a big puddle and was nice and cold.
Marble Spring had plenty of water too.
Mark reported that there was no water at Lamberts meadow.
	Saturday night a big storm moved by west of me. I heard Air Raid sirens
from Glasgow I think. Oh yea I saw a bear Friday evening near Powel Gap
on the Blue Ridge Parkway and someone wrote in the Conrilious register
that they had seen one near Bryants Ridge Shelter.

chase

--
Charles W. Davidson (WB4PAN)