Re: [at-l] Male, mail, mahall

Actually this new online system is a boon for folks sending packages
to hikers.  For an extra .30, they slap a fluorescent green label with
a barcode on your package.  Then as it goes thru the system, PO
employees have a thingy that can read the barcode which automatically
records the package's progress.
You can log onto the website and know when it's at it's destination.
I've found it helpful, especially when a hiker can call me from
a payphone and I can tell them for sure whether the package is at the PO.
It has saved a couple useless trips into town and at least one case of
someone pushing to town on a Sat.AM unnecessarily.  I even had one box
go waaaay astray, due to a well meaning clerk in Damascas.  The tracking
system really made it a lot easier to get the box to the hiker asap.
IMHO...well worth the three dimes.     k