ATML Hiker Sickness

I just talked with the epidemeologist who is handling the
investigation for the hiker sickness that has afflicted a number
of AT hikers, and is being commonly referred to as "Catawba
sickness" among thru-hikers. Here is what is known for sure:

The culprit is suspected to be the Norwalk virus, based on
the symptoms, but the experts are not at all sure about this.
The progression and lack of some symptoms (e.g., high fever)
allow for the possibility of bacterial infection as well, so
the causal factor has not been identified. It is suspected
that illness occurs 24-48 hours after exposure (by ingestion
only, airborne infection has been ruled out), and it seems
to run its course in 24-48 hours.

Hikers have reported onset of symptoms as far south as Damascus
and as far north as Lynchburg (i.e., James River), not just in
the Catawba/Troutville area, although the reports of the illness
were concentrated near Troutville. However, hikers who have not
hiked anywhere near Catawba/Troutville have reported the same
symptoms that thru-hikers have reported.

There has been no indication from any of the wells tested that
the illness is originating from a single source. Without knowing
the exact contaminant (virus or bacteria, or possibly both), the
Health Department cannot rule out any single source, but the
reports of onset of illness do not seem to indicate one source,
so Catawba may have nothing to do with it at all.

Stool and blood samples have been taken from about ten hikers
and more blood samples from these same hikers will be taken in
the Harpers Ferry area, so it may be possible to identify the
infectious agent causing the illness, but more than likely we
may never know for sure.

If you are hiking in the Virginia area this summer and have the
misfortune to get the illness (symptoms: vomiting and/or diarrhea,
usually both, no high fever), you can be helpful by contacting
the office handling reports at : ebarrett@vdh.state.va.us (Do
not email this office for general information, just to report an
illness).

Fortunately, a number of hikers contacted a local Health Dept.
office, and hikers have been very helpful to the authorities who
are trying to solve this mystery. The bottom line is, we still
do not know what is causing the sickness nor where it is coming
from. You can help diminish the effects of gossip and rumor by
helping to broadcast this message, which is all that is known
at this time.

WF