Re: [at-l] bites, ticks, knees, answers

I have used a clothes treatment which contains permethrin as the active
ingredient. The product is call Duranon Tick Repellent. It claims to be
effective for up to 2 weeks. It seems to work but I decided to stop using
it because of the repeated, strong warning not to allow the stuff to come
in contact with the skin. We're talking chemical warfare here.

Basically, the suggested use is to coat cuffs and hem areas to block the
ticks from gaining access to the skin. Well, I decided that it is just
simpler (if not safer) to follow a different strategy. There was an
article in BP a few years back which reported the military has had
excellent success with using 1) clothes as a barrier in conjunction with
2) DEET or other effective repellents and 3) frequent examination.

Another article suggested wearing light colored clothes as this make it
easier to spot the little varmints. Also it said to tuck long pants into
the socks or gaiters and keep the shirt tail tucked into the pants. The
well dress and stylish anti-tick hiker will also be seen sporting a light
colored hat or bandanna.    Hopeful