[at-l] Tarp and bivy: adventures with cats

I visited my folks back in upstate NY and slept out in the yard in my bivy
sack with tarp set up over it.... it was pretty cool, although I neglected
to account for one thing - my mother's cats!  Several of the cats decided
they had to help me set up the tarp (wonderful help they are, eh?) and then
later one of the young ones decided it made a great kitty trampoline.  I
have some repair work to do!  A bunch of little punctures and even a
two-inch slash in the nylon.  Other than that it worked great though!  I set
it up the first night in the rain, and only put one corner up with my hiking
pole, but it was pretty warm.  The next night I propped up the opposite
corner with my other pole, and that was better.  Apparently I set up it up
pretty sturdily (although I neglected to lash anything directly to the
poles), because Bibs trampolined on it for a while before it came down (I
couldn't pull her off because she would just hang on and it would create
more tears).  My sister took photos of the setup (some with cats sleeping
under and some with Bibs on the tarp), although I don't know when she'll get
it developed.  The second night Sandy (another cat) discovered me out there
and curled up next to my bivy, so the mesh on one side has a bunch of red
cat hair on it... *laugh*  I so didn't think about that!  Ya should've seen
Murphy (big brown/grey fluffy thing) trying to help me unravel the
guylines...

I may use it as an excuse to get the larger tarp... or a siltarp maybe.  :-)

Sandpiper

PS My folks think I'm certifiable now, sleeping out in the yard when there
was a perfectly good house (or three - two of my sisters live in the area as
well) to sleep in... :-7
--
Where you've been is dead and gone
all you keep's the getting there.