[at-l] Beer lovers guide to the AT?

Hi, everybody,

I have been browsing thru various thru-hikers journals and came across several references to many trail towns in the South being in "dry" counties. Seems like it would be rather disappointing to be looking forward to a good meal and a couple nice cold beers in town, only to be rudely confronted with the fact that there is no beer to be had for 50 miles in any direction (and they're dadgum PROUD of it too)!

Was wondering if any beer-loving AT hikers could give us all the scoop on beer availability along the trail? Which are the "dry" trail towns/counties and what are the options? Beer is heavy, but I suppose one could include a few cans in mail drops now and then if it were really wanted. What do most beer-drinkers do? Go without? Have it maildropped in?

Also, I recall reading somewhere that it's bad manners to use or display any drugs or alcohol in shelters, the reason given was that "a lot of thru-hikers are recovering substance-abusers and are out there to get away from drugs and alcohol". I can respect this, but I'm puzzled, then, by the dozens of mentions of how appreciative hikers are of trail magic in the form of someone lugging pizza and a cooler of ice cold beer up to a shelter! Also see many journal entries which mention everyone passing a joint around the shelter at night. Seems like a mixed message is being disseminated out there.

Before any purists start jumping down my throat, I will say that while I enjoy the responsible, occasional use of both beer and grass,  I feel one should be discreet if these are used in public. I can take 'em or leave 'em, but if I DO take 'em, what is the trail/shelter ettiquite regarding these? And what about sharing? If I am dumb or thirsty enough to lug a couple of 12-oz cans of suds along with me, is it rude to crack one open and not share? Or is it understood that this is a private stash?

Hoping I don't get flamed too badly!

Sincerely,

Troy