[at-l] Beginner's First (Accidental) Overnight (Long)

Thanks to the many of you who sent such encouraging responses to my day
hike post.  I am still enamoured of this *hiking* thing and slowly (very
slowly) acquiring the things I need to do this.

Along that line, my kids loaned me some miscellaneous camping gear when
they came up last week.  And why not??  I have been buying my son
backpacking stuff for years. ;-)  Of course, most of what they loaned me
was *leftovers* and not light weight.  But, it inspired me to do an
impromptu overnight to a local state park (Raven Rock, an hour south of
Chapel Hill).

Saturday afternoon I realized I had the afternoon/evening/next morning free
and decided to car camp with the stuff they had brought and what I carry in
my rucksack.  After a couple quick stops for supplies, I found the park
(recommended by my friendly outfitter, Peter) and stopped to register.
They have only primitive camping sites and asked am I prepared to backpack
2 miles to the canoe camping sites.  Well, I had planned to car camp, all I
had was my rucksack, the Wally World tent etc., but, what the hey.  I said
of course I was prepared to backpack and paid my money.

It took me at least 30 minutes to repack the rucksack and I ended up with
my sleeping bag (about 3 pounds) and mesh food bag left over.  But, it's
only two miles and I set off at 5:10 to the site, carrying the food bag and
the sleeping bag, which I quickly decided to hang from my belt.  I felt
pretty loaded - not for weight but for the bulk.  Also, made a mental note
to acquire lightweight lashing stuff so I could lash something to the
rucksack next time.

The humidity had to be 98 or higher.  It was way down the next day and was
94. ;-D  That evening everything was soaking wet all the time, but, for
some reason it seemed okay.  I realized I only had one use of insect
repellant with me and that bothered me a little (camping on the Cape Fear
River) but I never needed it. ;-)

Camp set up and evening meal went well.  The stove (primus) worked
wonderfully and dinner was brown rice ramen with dehydrated veggies and TVP
added.  Didn't like it much but it was okay with rye crackers.  The tent
was adorable - but missing a rain fly and a little too short.  Oops.  I am
only 5'8" so it must be sized for kids.  By the time I got all that done,
it was a little late to hike more.  I even managed to build a fire with
dead fall (remembering from girl scout days, 35 years ago).

I didn't sleep well, but sometime in the night I found I could stretch out
if I slept diagonally (duh) and that I hadn't done very well with my
stuff-sack pillow, next time I will make sure it has more in it.  Also, I
wondered: is it possible to have a thermarest too tight?

I carried about 1 gallon plus 1 pint of water with me to the site, but with
the high humidity, that wasn't really enough and I was watching my water
from dinnertime, to get through breakfast.  I decided to get up, have a
quick breakfast and make the four-mile round trip for more water, carrying
out some of the *too much* gear, then carrying the rest later, a more
reasonably sized load, when I could enjoy some of the hiking trails the
park is known for - with plenty of water.

It worked almost that way.  I had breakfast and was sorting/loading what to
take back to the car when I went for more water, and got a little
frustrated - it all seemed to be taking forever.  Finally, I just took off
with the rucksack loaded and went for the water, taking the *main* trail.
I finished off the water I had on the way back.  After dumping my load and
picking up another 1.5 gallons water, I decided to take the *long way* back
and enjoy the trails on the way back.  This turned out to be the most fun
of the trip.

I hiked *down* to the waters edge to the *Fish traps* then up to the
*overlook* then down to *Raven Rock* and then back to camp.  I ended up
back at camp about lunch time and made a meal from the previous night's
leftovers.  Then packed up and hiked out, taking again the *scenic* path
along the creek, the same one I had hiked in on.  This time I had about 1
liter of water left when I got back to the car around 3 PM.

The paths at Raven Rock State Park (NC) are very nice and there are enough
of them that I didn't get to hike them all.  So, I will go back.;-)  I
particularly like that you have to backpack to your campsite, and it isn't
a gravel pad when you get there (just a clearing with an iron fire pit, and
mine also had a short bench), and that it is within an hour of home.  The
Cape Fear River is beautiful, and now I want to canoe it, 199 miles to the
sea! ;-)

There were no disasters on this trip and I didn't even use my new first aid
kit.  I did decide I need to get something for lashing and once again,
wished I had that Safe Water Anywhere filter bottle.  Even though part of
my trip was routed around carrying enough water, I never was in any danger
as there were lots of people around (I didn't see much of them but
sometimes heard them).  I also again could tell how much I need to use some
kind of hiking pole as I am not *real* confident, especially on steep down
hills.  I did find a little Buck knife, under one ounce, at WalMart that I
really like.

I ended up wearing my sneaks in the morning when I went for water and hiked
the scenic trails back to camp.  That was a little scary, but I never did
have trouble with my feet afterwords (wore my boots from lunch on), or my
blood sugar, or even the heat.  Those three things are my biggest
weaknesses.

I find I am getting better at carrying the snacks I need, and knowing when
to take a break and eat them with a drink of water.  I also am getting
better at loading and adjusting the rucksack.  With all this, my distances
are slowly increasing.  I was a little disappointed that I didn't do more
miles while I was there, until I realized I did a little more than I have
ever done (mileage Sunday: 7.5).  I don't seem to get tired until about the
last mile, so it seems I am doing distances that are appropriate to me and
building up my stamina.

The only thing I would have changed (other than improved equipment) was
that I could have made the four mile round trip for more water after dinner
(it was nearly a full moon and there was a broad well-used trail, plus, I
had my flashlight).  I think that would have given me the more hiking I
wanted, taking the pressure off on the water situation and made the morning
hike even more fun. (More freedom to do mainly hiking for hiking's sake
rather than for water.)  Hindsight.

I also realized I should have had salt tablets with me (they are prescribed
for me for me, but I don't always keep them handy when I should) and that
would have helped some.  I did use a wetted bandana tied loosely around my
neck - a lot, and slept in light weight full length clothes and socks on
top of the sleeping bag most of the night - a pleasant change after being
soaking wet from the humidity.

Thanks again to you all for posting your tips and trips, it is helping
immensely and today I am off to buy a whistle, GI can opener, something for
lashing and some salt tablets.

Delita