Re: [at-l] My Saturday Adventure

Such an experience would really scare me ... I don't know what I'd do if
bitten.

Two week-ends ago while 'packing the Rough Ridge Trail in the Cohuttas
(northern Ga) we passed at least two snakes. I don't know what kind. The
first had a cammo patterned back and was quite thick ... blended really
well with dead leaves on the ground. The second was much larger and black.
Now my partners noticed the first snake and stopped. But they walked right
by the second black snake without noticing it, and it didn't have the camo
back! And, we had a dog with us that didn't seem to notice either snake!

> the hill I was climbing, when suddenly I felt something thud against my
shin
> and a really sharp pain.  I looked down and was amazed that there was a

I did have a scare once recently when I felt what I'd also describe as a
"thud" against my leg. I turned to look down and saw nothing. Since I
didn't feel a sharp pain, I'll assume it was a stick or something launched
by my foot into my leg, a first, I guess, but not impossible. Still, it
felt like what I always thought a striking snake would feel like (minus the
venom -- since the only analogy I'd have to compare would be a wasp, yellow
jacket or bee ....)

Anyway, I'd imagine it would be easy to miss a rattler on a dusty road
where one needn't look down before placing the next step!

David