Re[2]: [at-l] A different kind of self-propelled on Mt. Wash

Subject: Re: [at-l] A different kind of self-propelled on Mt. Washing
Author:  WHHAWKINS@aol.com at ima
Date:    6/25/99 11:39 AM

In a message dated 6/25/99 11:10:00 AM EDT, tmcginnis@ucclan.state.in.us
writes:

<<  Check out this picture for a great shot of different kind of ascent up
      Mount Washington.

      The look on the face is DEFINITELY that of a throughhiker..... >>

DEFINITELY NOT a throughhiker. It's a roadrunner. Now if they had a backpack
on, that would be something.

Wildbill

        Sloetoe responds:
       What gave it away, Bill? The number on the chest?

       Anywho, "The look on the face is DEFINITELY that of a
       throughhiker....." The picture is of the number one and two place
       finishers in the Mount Washington Road Race, less than a half
       mile from the summit. They run up the 7.6 mile road to the summit
       in about an hour. Tha's an average 11.5% grade, good for 4600
       feet of upness. Sorry there, WBill, but by any reasoned
       definition, that IS "something."

       Sloetoe'79
       (who knows from experience which of
       hiking or running is the "tougher".)