Subject: Re: [at-l] Risk of injury backpacking (was "This is the 90's
Author:  "W F Thorneloe; MD" <thornel@ibm.net> at ima
Date:    6/24/99 8:54 AM

Part of your interesting question depends on the definition of injury. An
acute injury, such as broken bone from a fall or snake bite, is fairly
uncommon, and certainly less severe than - say -  mountain biking. Chronic
injuries due to overuse and malnutrition are far more common, and probably
universal among long section and thru hikers. This would include stress
fractures, muscle tears, joint injuries (knees and ankles) and such.

Lethality of injury on the AT would appear to be quite minor (except for
the ones experiencing it). There are better ways of killing and maiming
yourself, at least more efficiently. I believe you can find statistics
about sports related injuries at the CDC, and would expect backpacking and
hiking to be insignificant.

Good question.

Should an insurance company deny coverage for a hiker?

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA