[at-l] hiking partners

        Having done a majority of my backpacking solo, I have to disagree
with the recent post about always being in eye contact with your hiking partner.
        It's easy to default to security and safety reasons for staying in
eye contact, but if it means adjusting your pace and your mindset, then why
be out there in the first place?  For most these things are a solitary
experience, perhaps shared later.  The freedom of moving ahead or falling
behind is total and utmost.  I mean really, who's to say we can't walk
around in nature alone for our own safety?  It's one of the last things we
CAN do fairly unregulated.
        Now to address safety and security, if you're hiking with someone
you should definitely have stops every 20-30 minutes.  At least a five
minute pack-on break, just to reconnect and assure everything is good.  This
assures that if something happens to one person it will only be at most a
mile or so away and can be dealt with.

        We constantly balance caution and freedom in activities involving
the outdoors.  While I think a modicum of safety is important, nothing that
majestic comes risk-free.  Having a good head on your shoulders is the most
important part.  So hike wherever you'd like, and don't worry about your
partners, they're just around the bend mate.