Re: [at-l] this is the 90's????

As far as hiking alone vs. with a partner.....it really is SO individualized.
People hike with a partner for many reasons and safety is just one of them.

Yes, you could lie on the trail for a very long time with disastrous results
should an accident occur and you are alone. I would assume that those who
solo hike are aware of that. In that regard, the AT during thru-hiker season
is about the safest place on earth to solo hike in the "wilderness."

I was very grateful to have my partner nearby and competent to deal with my
injury this past spring (healing nicely, thank you). I also know who would
have come along next (having gone back to the road) and that it would have
been within an hour to an hour and a half.

My concerns for safety and being alone do increase when i solo hike on other
trails. But it does not mean that i do not plan to solo hike again in the
future. (Yes, right now my family and non-hiker friends would be screaming.)
I'll solo again and the first time i do, i'll probably be plenty nervous
about the next silly slip that could cause an injury.

But then i don't choose to hike because it's necessarily comfortable and
easy. AND i defy anyone out there to tell anyone else what their personal
limitations are regarding ability and safety. You do what you can and
sometimes you push the envelope a little bit.....and boy oh boy!!!! Doesn't
*that* make you feel alive!

Second Chance