[at-l] Bryson's Book

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, it bounced the first time. Sam

> I forgot this one from Mud Man's musings Sat night:  When one messes
up or
> does something un-clever on the trail this season, they are said to
> "Bryson".  Example: "I really Brysoned when I turned the wrong way
> (South--sorry Felix) at the side trail this morning."
> Personally, I rather enjoyed the book....
> Cosmo

Yeah, I enjoyed it too.  I bought it in Atlanta Airport ($13 for a
paperback?)  a couple of weeks ago and read it in three days.  He
focused on much of what I want to read about on the Trail;  the human
experience.  Damn shame he did not complete the hike.  I do have to
disagree with his assertion, "I hiked the Appalachian Trail" when he
hiked 880 miles, less than 40%.  If he had climbed nine thousand feet of

Everest, would he have said "I climbed Everest"?  I think not.  I guess
I was glad to note that "A Walk" had become a national best seller.  I
do wonder if we won't have more "Brysons" in Springer next spring.
Maybe that's part of why we had so many this year?

Man, I sure hope my little jaunt in a couple of weeks scratches some of
the trail itch I've got going.  I can hardly think of anything else.
The weather is important only as it affects the Trail  SMNP to Hot
Springs.  Money is important only as it can be used on the trip.  Gear
is inspected, evaluated, maintained, reinspected, reevaluated and
maintained some more.  Notes are taken and reviewed.  People are
pestered and questioned.  You'd think I was going to the damn moon
instead of a few miles on a trail some have called "too civilized".  I
think it's because I want to thru hike so badly that I'm pretending
that's what I'm doing. (At age 11, I spent four days in a closet
pretending I was a Gemini astronaut, (as you can see, I had very
understanding parents))

BTW If you enjoyed "A Walk in the Woods" you well might also enjoy, "Men

for the Mountains" by Marty Tipton.  He was (and may still be) a park
ranger in Banff Canadian National Park. It's not so much about hiking
but it has lot's of woods experiences.

Hike, write, repeat,
Sam