[at-l] Re:

At 03:44 PM 6/21/99 -0400, David  F. Addleton wrote:
>Sam,
>
>> How do you keep the rain water from running down the hammock and tarp
>> rope?  It seems that both would be sloped straight to lowest spot, which
>> when I'm in a hammock would be the area on a plumber that's known for
>> it's views.  (Sometimes I just crack myself up)
>
>Most string hammocks I've seen come with a ring used to tie the hammock to
>a tree. With the ring under the tarp, the string doesn't get wet. The water
>runs down the tie off at the tree to the ring where it drops to the ground.
>I've replaced the nylon marine rope that came with the hammock with 1 inch
>webbing. I fear the webbing will soak up more water, but I've not had a
>good rain storm in which to test it. I think the water will drip off the
>webbing at the ring, just like it does with the marine rope.

I've had problems with heavy rain running down the tree to the rope and
then into the hammock. I was using a 'jungle hammock' and the rings are
outside the ends of the roof. Since water seeks the lowest point the trick
is to add some drip lines where the rope or strap from the tree attaches to
the ring. It's just a short length of cord tied so it's ends hang down 3-4
inches. The water comes down the rope to the drip line, down the drip line
and off the end to the ground.

Saunterer