[at-l] PA 645 to Swatara Gap advisory....

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Bruce R. Drum <backpack@epix.net>.
* Please use <mailto:backpack@epix.net> to reply to the sender.

Just got back from a weekend trek from PA Route 645 to just past the Swatara Gap.

The spring, adjacent to I-81, is spitting cotton balls.  There has been only a few drops of rain in this area over the past ten days or so, and no more is predicted until possibly this Tuesday.  If you're north-bound in the near future, you'll want to draw (and filter) water from the creek just north of Swatara State Park.  The next water source (other than the Swatara Creek, which I wouldn't even let my ex-wife drink from) is the spring at William Penn shelter, which is in fine operating condition.

One additional comment...  if you've previously invested in poison ivy futures, you're now filthy-rich.  The pleasant little plant is EVERYWHERE from the crest of Blue Mountain to about two miles south of William Penn shelter, with the trail narrowing to about nine inches at some points, making it almost impossible to avoid.

I'd love to continue to whet your anticipation of doing this portion of the trail, but I've got to run and buy some Calamine before the drug stores close here.

Happy trails...

Packer
(probably changing name to "Itchy and Scratchy" soon)