Re: [at-l] Do most hikers use poles/sticks?

Earthworm,

I've two sticks. I don't know know what kind of wood. Maybe ash? The one's
tall and slender; the shorter one, still about 5 ft, is thicker.

The tall, slender pole still has its bark, except where I carved a spot to
put some foam insulation for copper pipe. (The foam insulation is available
for about 50 cents for a four or five foot length. Its cut down to the
center so you can slip it on the pipe/stick. It has adhesive to keep it in
place and to close the seam.) Next, I wrapped chami around the insullation,
cutting it into strips and tying it down so it doesn't move around. It
gives a nice grip and no blisters. The "handle" is about the same thickness
as the shorter pole.  I use this stick especially on descents. I also use
it when pitching my tarp to raise up a corner near the head of my hammock.
I can tie off a candle lanter on some of the loops and fringes of chami.

The shorter, fatter pole has a hole drilled through it near the top, the
only place where it curves. (I use both sticks with the narrow end to the
ground.) I put a laynard of nylon cord throught the hole and tied off a
loop. I use the loop to hang the water the bag and sometimes around my
wrist when hiking. I put a rubber/plastic/nylon hand grip from an old tool
around the narrow bottom to cut down on wear. This shorter pole has no
bark, but has a very smooth finish after taking off the bark. Other than
staining it, I've left it as is, but I'm thinking about modifying it a
little to provide a better grip. I've had a small blister from this stick.

Also, sometimes I put the longer stick through the loop on the shorter one
an lean the two against a tree, forming a tripod on which to hang stuff,
like shirts, sweaters, and the water bag.

Hope this helps.

David