[at-l] Do most hikers use poles/sticks?

Hi,

I am looking into the pros and cons of hiking with poles. On the pro side,
I see almost all AT hikers using them these days and figure they wouldn't
carry them 2000+ miles if they weren't essential. OTOH, I have lost
(accidentally left behind) both of the poles I've had (one handcarved by my
father and lost only a few days later (bummer)).

Would anyone here on the list like to discuss the pros and cons of poles
and pole types? Are the fancy Leki poles worth the $$? How are they better
than a wooden staff?

Also, I see hikers now with TWO poles, using them like ski poles. What's
the benefit of using 2?

Thanks,

"Pokey"