Re: [at-l] Do most hikers use poles/sticks?

At 05:08 PM 6/18/99 -0400, Pokey wrote:

>I am looking into the pros and cons of hiking with poles.

Pro:
	Greater stability on uneven ground and crossing streams
	Can be used like brakes going downhill
	Reduces strain on knees going both up and down hill
	Can be used for defense against angry dogs or to herd snakes away.
Con:
	Extra weight
	something else to figure out how to carry when you don't need it.

>Would anyone here on the list like to discuss the pros and cons of poles
>and pole types? Are the fancy Leki poles worth the $$? How are they better
>than a wooden staff?

If by 'fancy' you mean collapsible, cushioned grip, etc. (as opposed to
finely carved) a collapsible stick is easier to strap to your pack when you
don't need it. On relatively flat ground they are just something to do with
your hands. On a rack scramble they can be a nuisance if you can't lash
them to your pack without kicking it or having it catch every low tree
limb. IMHO 3 sections are better than 2 because they stow shorter. A
cushioned grip is nice on a long day. A carbide tip really grips (wet wood
slips, gets mushed; crutch tips are okay but not great). Lots of companies
make them for less than the price of Leki. I like my EMS pole (made by
Komperdell) which has a composite cork knob rather than a bicycle handlebar
style grip and a foam grip below it. If I'm going downhill I extend it all
the way, plant the tip well ahead of me and use it as a brake with the knob
in my palm. The rest of the tiem I hold it by the grip. It also has a
camera screw under the knob. A mono pod is nearly as good as a tripod if
you use it right so the staff can save pack weight.

>Also, I see hikers now with TWO poles, using them like ski poles. What's
>the benefit of using 2?

I only use one. It serves my purposes and leaves one hand free all the
time. I can switch hands as needed for the terrain or to rest the arm I've
been using. I have a friend who bought a pair and after the first outing
with both he only uses one. To resolve the 'one VS two' question for
yourself try doing day hikes both ways to see what you like. Beg or borrow
a pair of poles or just use two old broomsticks to see what works for you.
If you are young, limber and have good knees you may not need (or want) any
poles. It's like any other piece of equipment. Does the level of
comfort/utility you get from having/using it justify the weight/cost?
Saunterer
"...time is not money. It is an opportunity to live before you die."
Donald Culross Peatty - The Joy of Walking