Re: [at-l] Do most hikers use poles/sticks?

>Also, I see hikers now with TWO poles, using them like ski poles. What's
>the benefit of using 2?

I've found two poles much better than a single pole.  One pole does not
provide the stability and support of two.  With one pole you are only
supporting one leg.  I need poles to prevent knee pains on my hike down from
mountains and hills.  I tried it with one pole, didn't help.  I tried it with
two second hand ski poles - cheap $2.00 - with tremendous success.  I found
that I must use the poles going up hills as well as down.  By using them
uphill, I save energy and strength in my legs for going down hill.  Using
poles downhill prevents the abrupt contact of bones and connective tissue on
every step.  I am now able to hike with practically no pain.
	Two poles are far better than one but they need not be expensive.
However, the expensive poles are really great.  I love my Leki's.

									Art