[at-l] my departure

Well, I'm off for the summer.  You've all been very entertaining and
enlightening, and I will miss that while I'm gone.  Hopefully, the hikers
out there will fill in that blank for me.

I was originally planning on hiking the entire Appalachian Trail this
summer, but I was unable to deal with being away from home and having no
income for six months.  As a consolation prize, I decided to hike half of
it.  This will take roughly three months.

I asked my employer (Cable & Wireless) for a leave of absence.  Management
granted it, and corporate vetoed that because I'm not sick or pregnant.  I
went all the way to the CEO since upper management seemed to think it was a
stupid policy as well.  This did not help.  I was forced to quit, but
prospects are good for the fall for me, so it's no great loss.

I am leaving on June 16 from where the AT hits Virginia Rt. 7 (This is the
end of Loudon county, and the closest the AT comes to my home) and hiking to
Mt. Katahdin in Maine.

Letters of encouragement and news from civilization are always welcome, as
things that can be consumed in front of the Post Office.

I will also have an online journal at:
http://www.trailplace.com/c99journals/616markee/616markee_index.html

Regarding the e-mail address on the journal page:  don't use it until after
June 16.  I will not actually be checking that mail address myself -- Tino
will be printing the mail and sending it to me.  If I happen upon web access
in some library somewhere, I will review my guestbook.

-Nicole

Maildrop List:

Apx.Date  Address                           Miles Hiked
 23-Jun  Blue Ridge Summit, PA  17214            59.9
 30-Jun  Boiling Springs, PA 17007              117.0
 10-Jul  Port Clinton, PA  19549                153.1
 16-Jul  Wind Gap, PA  18091                    277.0
 22-Jul  Glenwood, NJ  07418                    353.5
 28-Jul  Stormville, NY  12582                  432.2
 3-Aug   Salisbury, CT  06068                   498.4
 9-Aug   Cheshire, MA  01225                    575.9
 15-Aug  Manchester Center, VT  05255           648.4
 23-Aug  Hanover, NH  03755                     740.5
 29-Aug  North Woodstock, NH  03262             809.3
 5-Sep   Gorham, NH  03581                      884.1
 11-Sep  Rangeley, ME  04970                    962.0
 18-Sep  Monson, ME  04464                     1064.2
 26-Sep  Katahdin                              1182.0

Nicole Markee
Cable & Wireless Internet Engineering
Reston, VA
page:  beep-nicole@cw.net