Re: [at-l] Hike from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs

My son and I hiked this section about this time last year. We found the
section between the summit of Walnut mountain and the side trail to Dear
Park shelter to be very dry. There were several springs that were just
trickles so we didn't bother to refill our water bottles. We thought we
get water at the next spring that was flowing more than just a trickle.
This was a mistake because we were not carry much, I had 1.5 liters and
my son had 2 liters. Because it was so hot we had finished all our water
by the time we got to Garenflo Gap. The 2.something miles between
Garenflo and the springs that are near Dear Park where not enjoyable. It
was hot. At the junction of the AT and the Dear Park Mt Shelter side
trail, there is a spring on a blue blaze trails that leads to the left,
about 1/4 mile. I was tempted to lay down in the water but I resisted.

I recall that when we got to Hot Springs, we went straight to the Smoky
Mt cafe and I drank 7 glasses of sweet tea before we left.

BTW, it was 90 degrees in Harrison and Chattanooga today. Summer is here.
 Hopeful