Re: [at-l] Hike from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs

At-Lers,

Since so many of us are either hiking this section (I'm scheduled for
July 7,8,9) let's just post info  to the list rather than individual
email address, please.  I'm planning to hike from Max Patch to Hot
Springs and I'll keep as detailed a journal as I can.

Walter Shroyer hiked this section (and more) a couple of weeks ago and
posted his journal at the url below. He answered several of my questions
later which I've quoted here.

http://www.angelfire.com/va/treeartist/journal99.html

Walter Shroyer writes:

> Walnut Mt. and Bluff Mt. are not that hard of climbs.  Most of this hike is a
> nice gradual down slope which you  can see if you look at the AT map for
> this section.  There is a beautiful campsite near a waterfall about
> halfway down Bluff Mt. The trail crosses a stream and on the left is a
> big rock with a great area to pitch a tent.  You probably should hang your
> food since we saw a bear in this area.  We saw a couple camped at
> Garenflo Gap but a road comes right up to it.  In fact your wife could
> probably meet you there and hike a mile or so and then back track.
> Garenflo Gap is easy to find by car.  The turnoff off from 209 is next
> to the Bluff (town) sign and there is also a sign there that says
> Garenflo Gap.
> Walter Shroyer

Geez, let's go hiking.

Sam