[at-l] Romance

Zenlotus@aol.com wrote:

> Really? You can get that here? I'm not surprised about the odd part, but
> romance on the trail? <g&L>

My first response was something glib but then i got to thinking a
bout Jim and Ginny.  They met and fell in love on the AT.

aAd there is a couple that met and married this year.
Her name is planting flowers...I forget his.

It's a weird scene....everyone who's off-trail paired to one degree or another
is stressed from the lack of their mate.  Some resist....some don't/
And of course there are those that behave on the trail the way they
behave in the real world ..they couple and uncouple.  That gets
complicated when they are still stuck seeing each other at the shelter
everyday.  Usually one of them puts on a burst of speed to put some
distance between the two (they have all that extra energy now
donchaknow <g>).  But mostly everyone is dirt tired and dirty
to boot and romance isn't high on the menu.  But I keep thinking
about '97 when every other young studly hiker i ran into here in PA
had one Question on his mind.....how far ahead is X.  Now X was
a certain female hiker who was reported to be so fair and fine
and wrote such enticing entries that a pack of hikers were acheiving
mileages well above and beyond.  Unfortuneatly for them, X was
fast as wellI as they had been in pursuit of her since VA.  I always
wonder if any of them ever did catch a glimpse of Ms X.......