[at-l] Lyme disease vaccine

Thought I would stir up the pot before the weekend. Two articles in recent
medical literature about LYMErix, the Lyme Disease vaccine.

One from Associated Press notes that even in Lyme, Conn (with the highest
rate of disease with 105 per 100,000 last year), few in that town have
volunteered the $150 for the three shot series over 12 months. SmithKline
has sold about 200,000 units of the vaccine, is satisfied with the business.

One of the reasons for reluctance is in the second article in this week's
JAMA. A CDC report to pediatricians notes that the vaccine is cost
effective only in areas with more than 100 cases per 100,000 per year. They
also note that the vaccine may cause autoimmune response, particularly in
people who have had non-clinical infections (didn't know they had the
infection). There is also the chance of certain HLA groups having increased
risks of arthritis or other autoimmune side effects. CDC recommends
prevention of disease by routine tick checks, removing ticks within 48
hours. Typically, the tick has to get a very full meal before there is
enough regurgitation of infectious material into a host. Other prevention
includes light colored long sleeves and long pants when in tick country.

Folks, I can get this vaccine for free as a marketing tool by SmithKline.
I've turned it down. I encourage my friends (and most of you are) to wait
for the current 200,000 vaccine units to get into about 70,000 experimental
subjects before deciding this is safe and/or necessary. If you are not my
friend, please line up in alphabetical order to my left, with VISA,
MasterCard or money order in hand. Smile, drop trou, and bend over. I will
be gentle.

Thank you!

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA