[at-l] a very bad day in the woods

        I am sorry to report we had a local tragedy this week on the AT.
An AMC Berkshire volunteer, Jack Cysz, died Tuesday while helping to
construct a new shelter at Glen Brook, just north of Mt Everett summit.  He
collapsed at the worksite, and we were unable to revive him.

        Exact cause of death is not known right now, some sort of seizure
is indicated, 'though we don't know what triggered it.  A doctor at the
worksite who attended Jack didn't believe he could have been helped even if
he had been at the hospital.  Mt. Washington Mass is a very rural area and
the road leading to the trailhead is remote and rugged--as is the trail in
that section.  It took rescuers some time to reach the site despite their
best efforts.

        Jack and his wife Linda have been ardent and active supporters of
both the AT and other environmentally related efforts in southern Berkshire
County.  They have also been instrumental in the maintenance and organizing
of caretakers for the Goose Pond Cabin for many years.

        Sorry about the 3rd person reporting, I'm still having some
difficulties processing the event, my hands start to shake every time I try
and write this letter.  I suspect a walk in the woods will help, but I must
admit right now I contemplate this with some trepidation--not for my
personal safety, there was really nothing that could have been done in that
respect to avoid the incident--but I fear the pleasure will be gone, that
walking will just be reviewing the incident rather than relieving me of
stuff I need to be relieved of (to put it awkwardly in a very long
sentence).  I am feeling better today, than when I started this letter
Wednesday,  as time does it's thing.

        I'd only really gotten to know Jack over the past couple of months
as the maintenance season got into full swing--most of my work is North
County and his in the South.  I looked upon him as a new friend and
colleague, and the manner and suddenness of his passing has been quite a
blow, that I'm clearly just now beginning to learn deal with.

Visiting hours for those in the area are today (Thursday) 5-8 PM at the
Kelly Funeral Home, 3 Main St. in Lee MA.  Donations in lieu of flowers can
be made thru the funeral home to the Mass Audubon society or The Clara
Barton Camp for Girls with Diabetes.  There will be a memorial service at a
later date.

If you'd like to write to Linda Cysz, please e-mail me privately for her
address.  She is a great person and will welcome your words of support and
kindness.  Please forgive the filtering, even though I know I am among
friends here, I just don't feel OK about broadcasting her address on the
Net.

Cosmo Catalano