Re: [at-l] msr whisperlite

I use the whisperlite also, but with an old metal bottle from my SVEA days.
The important thing is to remember to fill it up to the shoulder of the
bottle, never full. There has to be room for air to pressurize. I
understand that MSR wishes to limit use to their bottles only, probably out
of concern for product liability, should a leak or flame get out of hand
for a litigious hiker.

It is a great idea to test out your individual usage of fuel before hitting
the woods. This gives you many opportunities to learn how to start the
thing, and avoids running out of fuel 2 days away from the next town. 1.5
liters appears to be good for about 10 days with my pattern of use, and my
particular stove. This is certainly excessive for weekend hikes. It does
free me from refilling the bottle but every few months. I've not had any
problems since first attempting to do SVEA impressions with my whisperlite.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA