[at-l] Serious - not really hiking related

While driving into work today, I came upon a very disturbing sight. A Ford
Explorer had been broadsided in the rear passenger side by a subcompact.
Normally this tiny car striking this big SUV would not have caused much
damage to the Explorer except some body damage. Unfortunately there was an
unrestrained three year old girl in the front seat who not only had an open
fracture of her right arm, but was unconscious from striking her head on the
window.

Although I have seen many traumas in my life, it never fails to disturb me to
see a parent crying over their injured offspring when, in all likelihood, the
injury could have been prevented by proper restraints (carseats, seatbelts,
etc.).

As you travel to wherever you are going this weekend (hopefully that means to
the trail -see this is hiking related now), please don't forget to buckle up!
I apologize for getting on my soapbox, but I want to come back on Tuesday to
happy trail reports, not sad news.

POG