Re: [at-l] Water

I would be a bit cautious about some of this advice. If one has grown up in
a fairly sterile environment, it may be a bad idea to quickly assume you
are as immune as someone from a "third world country".

I suggest as reading, the water advice from the Polar Pure bottle. It is an
excellent brief review of means to treat water, as well as what to be
concerned with in finding water to consume. (I don't know if it is on the Web)

Giardia is not that common on the trail, and is often blamed for every case
of diarrhea experienced on the trail. I am certain that there are more
common sources, including food poisoning and poor hygiene. However, Giardia
can be very debilitating, just as Lyme Disease can be. Rarely, these can be
fatal. There is no reason to invite such illnesses by gambling about where
people or critters choose to poop or pee.

Our filters do not avoid viral illnesses, the chief problem includes
hepatitis. Iodination does work, and one can use a combination of
filtration and iodination to quickly purify water, with less weight and
recurrent costs than a purifier. Iodine will work, but one must wait for
treatment times, and maintain the discipline to avoid drinking too early. I
use a filter to deal with my lack of discipline, and use Polar Pure if
filtering from non-moving water (puddle, lake, pond, etc.). Standing water
is quite a hazard, as this is much more likely to have septic contaminants.
I have _never_ heard anyone suggest UV is helpful in this situation.

Just be careful with how you gamble with your water and your life.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA