Re: [at-l] spring hiking in the Rockies

I've had a pair for about 2 years, say 800 miles. The Gortex has worn
through behind both heels. I really like the boot part, wax them regularly,
after every trip where it rains. The Gortex part buys you dry feet unless you
get rain for more than a day - then your feet and boots get and stay
wet. But for morning dew, wet high grass, mud/bog and occasional small
stream they DO keep you feet dry. So they are great for day hiking.

On longer trips, though, sooner or later it rains. I would not
buy them again for the Gortex, but I would buy them again for the boot.
YMMV.

                                . Gary from Fairfax .

=>All in all it was a great hike. I stopped in Estes Park and quite by accident=>(not my intention) I bought a pair of Vasque Sundowner gore-tex boots. I
=>started breaking them in today. Does anyone have these kind of boots and what=>do you think of them?
=>
=>zenlotus
=>* From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List |  http://www.backcountry.net  *