Re: [at-l] Trail Days (or is it DAZE?)

> When Datto and Ditto dropped my off at my
> house, I had trouble getting
> myself past the front door.

Yes, the return from Trail Days...

I strapped on my backpack last night and went for a
hike. Felt wonderful to return to the woods, mentally
drawing me away from the daily grind, opening myself
up to a greater universe not restrained by cubicle
walls.

Got a late start and after four miles, stopped at my
favorite place (as usual). On a bluff overlooking the
reservoir, the opening to a bay maybe 1/2 a mile
across the water, island off to the left, small
opening in the trees framing the picture. Early
morning and evening times are magic at this
place...particularly with Famous Amos cookies like
last night, Ha.

As I sat soaking in the view, tasting the chocolate
chips, the image of pink bunny ears from Trail Days
returned...the attentive bunny, the inquisitive bunny,
the wacked-out bunny. I was cracking myself up,
sitting alone. There's probably a therapy term for
that I think...The Freudien Crackola Syndrome.
Canadian scientists have determined that too much
Freidien Crackola will make you go blind.

Headed out and on to the far end of the trail, to a
day area where I usually stop for a meal. Had a
Liptons high above the reservoir just before sunset.
There is something about the scent of Coleman fuel,
that relaxation drug, bringing back times of ease and
calm and laughter. Maybe on bad days at work, the days
where nothing is going in the right direction, I
should sprinkle a touch on as cologne...I call it 'Hi
Colemanti' -- probably no chance in the mass market.

Sat on a picnic table and watched the boats -- some
hauling skiers, most as stationary fishing platforms.
Waiting and watching for the lunker to arrive, then...
a split second too slow setting the hook, the
opportunity missed. Waiting and watching for the next
one...

For some reason I've been re-reading 'A Walk In The
Woods' a second time and it is as funny as it was the
first time around. I'd brought that book with me last
night. Read the section where Katz arrived in town for
the first night, just before they head off to the
trail. Dunkin' Donuts, Snickers, the pack stuffing...
Such a funny, vivid description -- I found myself
laughing out loud (again).

I can't see! My eyes...I can't see!!

Sunset was a pinwheel of pink and orange and violet
swirls with a common center point at the sun.
Gorgeous.

Ended up starting back well after sundown, daily
hassles expunged, calm returned. A special time in
late evening always makes me smile...and that was the
case last night as I walked the trail through open
fields on the return trip...

Had plenty of moonlight available to see the path
during the last few miles. Exciting to hear the
animals nearby, startled as I walk past, not expecting
me...never seeing what they were. Just hearing the
trees give way, the bushes pushed aside...reminded me
of the Yeti on Mt. Rogers -- adrenaline kicking in.

Arrived at the car and as usual, turned to look back
and gaze at the sky. There are more stars to show
themselves out here than in the city. Maybe I just
don't look as often so I never see them back there...

Didn't get home until late -- the usual for this week.
Somehow I don't mind last night being late.

Datto