Re: [at-l] Homemade Tents

=>
=>The first is a vent for the peak of the tent. I haven't had the opportunity
=>to go and check out the fancy vent designs on store-sold tents, but so far,
=>I just can't figure out a feasible lightweight idea.
=>

Go out and check - look especially at the Walrus designs. Venting is the
single hardest problem.

=>My second question is about sewing techniques: where can I go about
=>figuring out various sewing techniques that can be applied to tent-making?
=>Are there any books, web resources, or individual persons that you can
=>recommend I talk to?
=>

I found some good basic books at the library. My attitude is that if I
can't sew one good seam, double sew it. Also, look into "lap-felled"
seams - you sew, double the fabric over and sew again - very strong.

=>Third, is seam-taping. The idea seems very good to me, but does anyone know
=>of any downsides to seam-taping? If I do decide on seam-taping, how can I
=>get it down? I figure there's some sort of expensive fancy technological
=>gadget that does it, so how could I gain access to one?
=>

The tape comes with instructions - you iron it on. PRACTICE first.
Also, Siliconized fabric won't take seam - tape. You have to paint
it with thinned silicon (you get it at auto supply shops).

=>For a fourth question, how do you feel A-frame designs function? What if
=>two wedge-shaped vestibule areas were attached to the vertical walls of the
=>tent, so that a trapezoidal(?) shape was made? I've never had any
=>experience using an a-frame tent, besides for camping in that backyard as a
=>little kid, but it seems to me that the biggest issue would be the wind. So
=>I was hoping to avoid that be adding the two vestibules in the ends, and
=>lowering one end to make more more aerodynamic shape. Good idea? Bad?
=>

I am an engineer, and firmly believe in KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid ;)
Good design is simple design. My tent reqs call mostly for lightness -
not strength. YRMV.

=>Brody.
                                . Gary from Fairfax .