Re: [at-l] Wow! My original intro and ADA

At 07:49 AM 5/9/99 -0400, Max Rice wrote:
>Everyone,
>
>OK ... so I started this whole thing about ADA, right? You know the
>original post about can I make it along the trail in a wheelchair. Well,
>the whole thing really started to snowball. I got some posts of
>encouragement and a post of two about it being impossible and then the
>whole thing about ADA began to flow along with the obviously powerful
>reactions. So let's set the record straight.
>
>First, in no place did I ask for or act as though special accommodations
>should be made for handicapped access.

Actually I think the reference to making the AT ADA compliant came from
someone else's post. I know your post was merely an inquiry/introduction
and my own response (which I didn't post) was that I didn't think it could
be done. At least not all of it. I have no problem with allowing self
powered wheel chairs on those portions of the trail were it's possible. I
suspect however that the potential of liability enters into their
prohibition. In such a litigeous society as ours property owners (including
the Gov't) are very shy about permiting activities which have a high
potential for lawsuits.

>Second, as far as the physical hiking trail is concerned I do not
>believe that any accommodations should be made...snip..
>I actually believe that too much has already
>been done on the trail for the convenience of non-handicapped hikers,

Some of the "improvements" are done by volunteers (hikers helping hikers)
and others (I suspect) are in the category of liability avoidance.

>Third, the only exception I take to any of the existing regulations is
>if my wheelchair is not allowed on the Trail. If I can only go 1/2 mile
>then that is my problem, but if I am not permitted to even try then I
>would challenge that.  BTW, I am speaking of a manual wheelchair.
>
>The whole point of the introduction was just that .. an introduction.
>There is no hidden agenda here. I do not know a lot about the politics
>of the Trail, but I assume that this is an issue that has reared its
>head before and many feel threatened by it and for good reason. I
>understand and consider some of the reactions in that context.
>
>Why did I ask the question about making the trek in a wheelchair?   Well
>... the trip was conceived as a way to teach my two sons a lesson about
>life .. about how despite what may happen to us, we are still
>responsible for what we do with whatever has happened and our limits are
>primarily in our minds. They will be old enough to carry their full
>share of the gear in a couple of years and help me along difficult parts
>of the Trail. It would take us about a year and I would do a Trail
>equivalent of home schooling.  There are a thousand and one obstacles to
>such an adventure and I joined the list to identify them.
>
>Anyway ... I'm just another guy that has a dream about hiking the Trail.

And, if anything, your dream is bigger than average, if any AT hiker can be
called average. Two years ago I was on the "the other list" and someone
(perhaps even WF) suggested in response to concerns about overuse of the AT
by ever increasing numbers of hikers, that perhaps there should be
alternate AT routes including a 'lowland' route for those who for whatever
reason could not hike the traditional AT. It sounded like a great idea to
me at the time. Still does.

Saunterer