Subject: [at-l] An into
Author:  Max Rice <mrice@earthlink.net> at ima
Date:    5/6/99 9:40 AM

Everyone,

Just joined the list today. I used to backpack quite a bit and the years
and responsibilities have taken their toll. A dream has always been to
thru-hike the Trail. One of those nebulous dreams that never gets
followed through on or researched in any meaningful way. Now life
presents me with a new challenge - Multiple Sclerosis. Along with this
has come a new constant companion - a wheel chair. I assume that the
prohibition on wheeled vehicles does not include wheel chairs, but I am
not certain. Can anyone give me a definitive answer? Also, does anyone
know if someone has ever put significant miles on the trail in a
wheelchair?

I am certain that there are areas that would be very difficult and a
companion or two would be a necessity, but regardless of how improbable
I would like to know what is possible.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Max