Re: [at-l] bad weather

On Tue, 04 May 1999 13:47:58 -0500 Pat Villeneuve
<patv@falcon.cc.ukans.edu> writes:
> In a feeble attempt to change topics, I'll ask for stories of the
> worst
> weather endured on the trail.

  The worse weather I ever endured in a day was at Max Patch Bald.  It
was the day I came closest to coming off the trail.  It was about the 4th
or 5th day of snow in a row, was extremley cold, and left me in generally
depressed spirits. One of those days when you think to yourself "WHAT THE
HELL AM I DOING OUT HERE?!?!?!?".  Thought of other things I could be
doing. Was missing my buddies.   Instead of having a few beers at te
local bar, I was having a cold face, cold toes, and chapped lips.
   Then at the very top of the bald, the sun came out just long enough to
show the valleys. The sun warmed me up physically, and mentally. Never
did doubt I would make it to Katahdin after that day.