Re: [at-l] Plans for Trail Days

In a message dated 99-04-24 09:37:14 EDT, Chase Wrote

<< I have found the crowd to be a bit too much to bear for the whole
 weekend. Last year some of us left the crowded camping fields and took
 the short drive to camp on White Top for peace and quite, fantastic
 scenery and a break from the hot temperatures in town. >>

I've been away for 10 days again and am just catching up.
 I have not yet been to Daze but from it's reputation I have been thinking it
might be more party than I can stand for three days [hell, these days I can't
party one night without suffering for three days]. Taking that into
consideration, I have been thinking of setting up camp at the Forest Service
campground a few miles out of town on 91 [I think it is 91] and commuting to
the festivities. Or using the Forest Service  Beartree campground on 58 about
7 miles from town. Does anyone know if these fill up with other like minded
attendees, partyers, locals who want to get outta Dodge, whatever.
In other words are they both likely to be full when I get there around noon
Fri. Chase, your Whitetop thought tain't bad either.

More snip
<<Another great idea is to bring our bikes (or rent one in Damascas) and
do the super easy and scenic Virginia Creeper Trail (a couple of hours).
Seems like it's about 35 miles of old railroad bed that crosses numerous
trestles including the 550' one the AT uses.>>
Super ride, I'm game.
The whole trail is 34+ from Abingdon to the NC/VA border. its 17.9 from
Damascus
to the border. It is a moderately easy ride up [grade from 1% to max of 3%]
but long enough that you are ready for the super easy coast back. If it
wasn't for the need to slow for the bump on and off the bridges I think you
could go from Whitetop to Damascus without pedaling which makes the one way
trip a very relaxing couple of hours. I have not been on all that many bike
trails but figure I'll have a hard time finding one as beautiful as the
Creeper. The guys at the outfitters will shuttle to Whitetop; at least they
do at times other than Trail Days.

I didn't notice any other traffic on this thread, are Chase and I the only
ones going?
Plum'Crazy