Re: [at-l] Sawnie's challenge

In a message dated 5/1/99 7:52:14 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
patv@falcon.cc.ukans.edu writes:

 only of the things we admire and enjoy in each other? For
 instance, I have many admirable qualities, but being a fast hiker is not
 one of them. >>

There could be all explanations for this, but this is the closest one I can
really come up with. Imagine a basketball game, where we were all
participants. The people guarding us have these long legs, and our team mates
expect us to make passes over their heads. and we are all 5 feet tall and
they are high people. ( High school phys ed.....)

Reality is that hikers have different abilities. Some hike fast and some of
us with small frames have so much trouble keeping up and frankly don't care
whether we do or not.  We have to hike at our own pace or we would spend the
day running the AT instead of hiking it. We didn't ask God to make us short
and our pelvic muscles not to stretch.

Interestingly enough,  we love it out there just the same. It is not
competition, but communing with nature and enjoying a moment in the woods. We
are SHORT people, not people deliberately slowing down your trip. Don't ask
us to compete, and if you want us along? don't expect our legs to get longer.
They dont. We still are gonna hike slower than you and be just as tired at
the end of the day.

       choovers