Re: [at-l] Trail Food

I have been dehydrating "spaghetti" for a few years and it is one of my
favorite trail meals.

I will either dry the left over spaghetti and sauce or make it
specifically for one of my trips. My methods is to mix the sauce right in
with the noodles and then cut the spaghetti into spoon-size bits. This
makes it much easier to eat out on the trail because my mess kits
consists of a Rubbermaid bowl and a spoon.

I have a dehydrator but I'm sure the over will work just as well. Using
the oven is recommended in some of the books I have on dehydrating. Once
the spaghetti has dried for about 5 hours, I store it in zip lock bags
and keep it in the freezer until I pack for a hike.

When I'm ready to fix my meal, I use equal parts of spaghetti and water.
Usually, I have to add some more water but it is much easier to add water
than to eat spaghetti soup. As the water heats to a boil, the spaghetti
reconstitutes. After the water has boiled for about two or three minute I
set the spaghetti off the stove for another few minute. I test it by
eating little bits of the hamburger in the sauce. When it is no longer
"crunchy" then meal is ready.

On the occasions when I put in too much water, I pinch off bits of a
bagel and put that in to soak up the excess. Waste not want not.  Hopeful