[at-l] Highlights of week Hiking SNP

Spent a wonderful week hiking At in Va.  We left Front Royal on Saturday
4/17/99 heading south on AT.  I had hoped to meet some Thru Hikers on the
trail but never imagined meeting "Tumbleweed" on the first day.  He was quiet
tanned from sunny days in the snow,  Very organized and left camp efficiently
the next morning.
	The weather was mostly cool but pleasant for hiking.   Most mornings
we woke to find temps in the 30's.  We had cold rain for the the next to last
day.  The last day temps hit 80 +.  We were prepared for all temperature
ranges having experienced backpacking in New England.
	Best views were from Mary's Rock and Stony Man Mountain.  We planned
our hike over both of these summits after shuttling the cars.  We used
Panorama as a midpoint car shuttle location.  We leap frogged the second
vehicle from Front Royal to Swift Run Gap. That meant a late start to our
hiking day (11:00 AM).  Fortunately,  this day had the best weather, few
clods and cool breeze.  Since we had 15 miles planned, I knew we would not
make camp until close to sunset.  Therefore we had dinner at Skyland in the
Tap Room.  The meal energized us and made the last few miles feel like a
fresh start.  Maybe I will plan more days with a dinner stop then continue
hiking before camping for the night.
	During the hike we met four more thru hikers.  "Rainbow Bright",
"Hersh", "King of Spain" and "Amish Reject" were following "Tumbleweed" each
one day behind the other.  We spent a few moments talking with each hiker.
All were interesting to talk with and encouraging.
	We saw deer by the trail everyday.  There were Turkeybuzzards,
Ravens, grouse, any many more birds that I could not identify.  Blue and
yellow violets were in bloom.  The mountains seemed to be in about the same
season of growth as Connecticut when we departed.
	The Huts (shelters) were all well maintained.  Water was in good
supply at all shelters except "Tom Floyd Wayside" -  only a trickle into a
gallon jug.  There were squatters at "Pass Mountain Hut" with two dogs.
Apparently they have been living there for almost 1 month.  They are very
friendly and very helpful to hikers.  They don't see any problem with
occupying the shelter.  The "Bearfence Mountain Hut" has a pair of resident
raccoons that will come right into the occupied shelter looking for food.
They explore backpacks, boots, pots and stoves.  They will find any food not
hung on the bear poles provided at the area.  The views from Hawkspeek Hut
were incredible.  Lights from a nearby town looked like stars.  I witnessed
part of a meteor shower at 2:00 am one evening when I got up to relieve
myself during the night.
	It was a wonderful hike.  I was pleased to get a shower but sorry to
leave the trail.  The trip has just made me more determined then ever to make
a thru hike when I retire in 3 years.

							Art