Re: [at-l] Poison Ivy Information

In a message dated 04/21/1999 9:37:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
thornel@ibm.net writes:

<< This is _not_ poison ivy spreading because of the initial contact.  >>

What the good doctor didn't say is what I have been told by another
physician.  And that is that poison ivy does _not_ spread through scratching,
transference of the liquid that oozes from the pustules/blisters/whatever
they are called, or any other physical transference.  What the doc told me is
that the oil from the contact with the plant is adsorbed through the skin and
(I'm not certain about the rest of this statement) is then transfered through
either the circulatory or lymphatic system which is what causes it to pop out
later and at different places.

Scratch all you want.  Rub it all you want.  That might cause a secondary
infection but it won't _spread_ the rash.

I get it so badly I have been hospitalized.  Injection(s) of cortisone are
about all that speeds the recovery process for me.  My sensitivity to the
poison ivy is the reason I never hike in shorts, always long pants for me and
alert attention to my surroundings so I don't inadvertantly tent in it, squat
in it, rest in it, or touch it.

Al  (Draggin' Anchor)