Re: [at-l] Gear and Boots

Hi Everyone,

I would agree 110 percent. When I first went to Mountain Crossings at
Walasi-Yi Center one Saturday morning last December to buy a hat, as it was
a bit cold for this northern boy from Ohio, the owner, whose name has
vanished from my mind was very helpful, not caring weather I spent any $ or
not. I just asked him what hat he would buy, and he gave me the best darn
winter hat available. (Even those two big REI Atlanta stores did not have a
hat as well as this one.

Now, that I have transferred from Cleveland to Hampton Roads, VA, my son has
the hat, and during the winter worn it most days to his job in downtown
Cleveland, Ohio.

In addition to the owner of Walasi-Yi telling me about hats, he told me all
about using a tarp instead of a tent (wet tents can be a bit heavy), and
about tying knots. It was winter so the store was not busy but he gave me
all the time I needed. Us hikers need to support stores like Walasi-Yi.
Because as a bumper sticker I say that said "Wal-Marts Destroy Towns" has
some truth to it.

Prior to going into the store I met this great guy, originally from England,
who is married to one of the ladies who served as cashier when I left. Just
a great place to be. But the best of all, was this simply gorgeous kind
black/grey cat lying on the counter near the cash register. At first, I
thought she was not real. And when I petted her, I can still conjure up that
warm and joyful feeling.

So by all means, everyone, visit Walasi-Yi.

Gary from Hampton Roads